On this page
How to manage diabetes
People with diabetes should never consume sugar.
With good diabetes control and knowing your personal requirements, you may be able to include some sugars into your daily eating plan.
People with diabetes cannot exercise.
You can safely exercise as long as you can keep a close watch on your blood sugar levels. If you are on insulin and oral tablets like sulphonylureas, adjust your dose if necessary, and pack some snacks to consume in the event of hypoglycaemia (low blood sugar).
People with diabetes can be cured by taking insulin.
Taking insulin helps you manage the condition, but it will not make the disease go away.
What can you do?
For Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes:
- Know your targets for glucose control and weight
- Follow a healthy diet plan
- Exercise regularly
- Take your prescribed medications in a timely and regular manner
- Prioritise your emotional and mental well-being
For those requiring insulin treatment:
- Take insulin injections
- Monitor blood sugar as advised by your healthcare team