Complications of Pressure Injuries
Left untreated, pressure injuries can lead to other serious problems, including:
- Sepsis (bacteria entering the bloodstream)
- Cellulitis (inflammation of body tissue, causing redness and swelling)
- Abscess (a collection of pus)
- Bone and joint infections
Assess skin condition regularly and note changes in the skin condition, including signs of a pressure injury:
- Redness that does not go away.
- Unhealthy changes in skin colour/ texture, painful or sore areas).
- Signs of a wound infection (e.g. fever, pus/ discharges from areas of skin, painful/ sore/ itchy/ swollen areas of skin).
Please inform a healthcare professional if you notice signs of a pressure injury, or if you have any questions or concerns.